Electricity is something that everyone in a household relies on throughout the day. While electricity in a home is a huge convenience, a home that has problems with the electrical system can be a hazard. A faulty electrical system can cause a lot of damage in a home, while also increasing the risk of a house fire or accidental electrocution. Knowing the signs of electrical issues so you can arrange for repairs to be made by an electrician is essential. Some of the most common signs that there is something wrong with the electrical system in your home include:
Problems with Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers are designed to cut off electrical power when a circuit is overloaded. This design helps prevent the wires in a circuit from becoming too hot and possibly catching fire. If the circuit breakers in your home begin to trip on a regular basis, it is often a sign that you have an issue with your electrical system. It is never a good idea to reset circuit breakers that have tripped more than once in a short amount of time-- your best bet is to contact a licensed electrician for assistance.
Experiencing a mild electrical shock when touching a plugged-in appliance or plugging something into an outlet can be very alarming. In most cases, a small shock is due to faulty wiring. If you are shocked by an appliance or an outlet, it is important to discontinue use of the appliance/outlet immediately. Your next step should be to call an electrician.
Burning Smell in Your Home
A burning smell in your home that is not caused by cooking should be a serious concern. It is possible for wires within the walls of your home to overheat, which can cause the plastic coating surrounding the wires to begin to melt and burn. A lot of the time, this is a warning sign of an electrical fire if action is not taken immediately. If you smell something burning in your home, contact an electrician right away. Many electricians offer emergency electrical repairs if you need help outside of business hours or on the weekend.
Dead Outlets or Light Switches
When a home's electrical system is in good repair, all outlets and light switches should work properly. Discovering a dead light switch or outlet is a sign of a problem. The first thing you should do is check your circuit breaker panel to see if a breaker has tripped. If that is not the case, you will need to have a professional electrician diagnose and repair the issue.